Gifted and Talented Program
Gifted and Talented Vision
The East Hartford Public Schools’ Gifted and Talented Program is committed to delivering an individualized program that further promotes the exceptionalities of children who demonstrate evidence of higher performance capability in academics and/or the arts than their same age peers.
According to the Connecticut Gifted and Talented Laws, students should be identified based on their performance on multiple, relevant standardized measures.
East Hartford Public School’s children are identified at the beginning of grade 4 through the use of:
- Teacher input
- STAR Reading and/or Mathematics top 5%
- Smarter Balanced scores of a 4 in Reading and/or Mathematics
- Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT) top 75%
- Kaufman Brief Intelligence Test (KBIT2) score of 130 or higher
A composite of all measures is used to identify gifted students who show extraordinary learning abilities. Identified gifted students are serviced in grades 4 and 5.
- Grade 4/5: Services provided across schools
- Grade 6-8: Identified students select honors classes or IB
- Grades 9-12: Identified students select A/P, IB or Music/Arts Program Options