School Nurse – Jennifer Waldo RN, MS
Phone Number – 860.622.5443
Head Start Health and Nutrition Manager / Registered Dietitian - Carolyn Pancarowicz RD, CD-N
Phone Number: 860.622.5536
What Does a do?
- Enhances the health and safety of students and staff.
- Assesses students for signs and symptoms of illness and determines the need to be dismissed.
- Provides first aid and determines need for urgent or emergency care.
- Administers medication and completes special procedures as ordered, so that students can attend school with their peers.
- Screens students for vision, hearing and postural (scoliosis) concerns as required by Connecticut rules.
- Teaches students how to care for themselves as appropriate for their age and development.
- Develops Individualized Health Care Plans for students with special health care needs.'
Medication – All students who require medication while at school must have an Authorization to Administer Medication by School Personnel form on file at school. The student’s parent must bring the medication to school in the original packaging with the prescription label attached. This is a State of Connecticut requirement.
Immunizations and Physicals - All students must have current physicals and immunizations to attend school. The State of Connecticut requirements for immunizations are listed on the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health: http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/lib/sde/PDF/deps/student/health/SchoolImmunizations.pdf
The East Hartford School District requires physicals according to the following schedule:
- Head Start and Readiness Programs – Annual physicals are required.
- Kindergarten – A physical is required for entry within past 12 months of the first day of school.
- Health Assessment Form (Students Kindergarten through High School)
- Early Childhood Health Assessment Form (Students in Head Start and Readiness Programs)
- Sample Medication Authorization Form
- Medical Statement for Meal Modifications in School Nutrition Programs
- Religous Exemption Immunization Form